OUR STORY
 
To know where we are going, you need to understand our past.  Here is our church history:
 
The Presbyterian Church has a long history of serving our community as God's witness. The church was officially recognized in July 1916 and has provided a continuous ministry to the community since 1915.
 
In May 1915, Rev. James L. McBride, a Presbyterian minister in Cordova, heard of a proposed new railroad camp at the mouth of Ship Creek. Working as a cook on a small boat, he made his way to the area to survey church possibilities.  He arrived in later October 1915 and built a small building that housed both his family and the new church.
 
At his enthusiastic recommendation, the Board of National Missions allotted $800 to purchase two lots on the corner of Fifth and F Streets. Mr. McBride was reassigned to Anchorage where under his direction a 24x40 ft. building was built and dedicated on November 21, 1915. When the building proved inadequate, it was replaced by a new structure. The church filled to capacity on dedication day, July 16, 1916, and soon became a community center. January 14, 1917 was set for the Service of Organization when the name because First Presbyterian Church of Anchorage, Alaska.
 
By 1939, the church had once again outgrown its facilities and a building program was launched.  Joint efforts from the Board of National Missions, the local church and architect William Manley made the remodeling of the church successful in May 1941. An educational unit was added in 1944-45 and dedicated on September 16, 1945.
 
A focused ministry to the military community during the 1940's and daily 15-minute radio broadcasts during the 1950's not only filled significant community needs, but gave First Presbyterian Church a high profile in the community.
 
These first two buildings and the subsequent sanctuary and educational additions were located on the original site until 1968 when the present church was built on the Parkstrip at Tenth and G Streets. An education wing, completed in 1983, was built to provide additional classroom space, chapel, and accommodations for the handicapped. The Presbytery of Yukon office is also located in the building.
 
As the city of Anchorage has grown, members of First Presbyterian Church have been instrumental in establishing other Presbyterian congregations to serve special segments of the greater Anchorage area. Four of them are geographic, the fifth is a Korean speaking congregation which serves the Korean population in the community, and in recent years, Alaska Native and Sudanese congregations meet weekly within our facilities.
 
Our history assures us that God is not finished with us yet...
 
In the Pulpit
 
1915-17
Rev. James L. McBride
1917-18
C.M. Brown
1918-19
H.M. Course
1919-20
John L. Hughes
1920-25
Wallace Sutton Marple
1925-28
Rev. John Youel
1928-35
Rev. Emil L. Winterberger
1936
Rev. A.B. Martin (Moravian)
temporary supply*
1936-39
Rev. William A. McAdoo
1939-42
Rev. Boyd G. Cubbage
1942-50
Rev. Rolland Armstrong
1950-61
Rev. Frank J. Walkup
1956-57
Rev. Robert Boughton (choir director)
1959-60
Rev. Robert Van Nest, associate
1961-69
Dr. Edward V. Wright
1961-64
Rev. George Lower, associate
1969-70
Dr. John W. Pressley, interim
1970-87
Dr. Thomas Teply
1974-77
Rev. James Watt, associate
1981-82
Rev. Steven Blocher, associate
1982-88
Rev. Douglas Dye, associate
1988-90
Rev. Samuel Marshall, interim
1990
Dr. Taylor Hill. Interim
1991-2001
Dr. David Bleivik
1992-97
Rev. Hallack Greider, associate
1998-2002
Rev. Piper Cartland, associate
2001-02
Rev. John Conley, interim
2003-10
Rev. Peter Loughman
2003-09
Rev. Gail Fisher, interim associate
2005-08
Rev. Ted McGovern, associate
2008-09
CLP Lois Hildenbrand, interim, associate
2009-10
Rev. Karlin Bilcher, associate
2010-11
Rev. Art Bell, interim
2011-12
Ken Eimer, interim
2011-13
Ellen Johnson-Price, interim associate
2012-14
Rev. Matt Schultz
2013-Present